Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Tender Connection

This morning my husband and I, together with our three children prayed for Eritrea in the comfort of our bedroom. Our hearts mostly went out to the Christian mothers of Eritrea, some imprisoned for their faith and others with husbands and children serving time in harsh military camps for their faith.

I could share a true story with my family about an Eritrean mother and her ongoing struggle to clarify the complexity of their Christian walk to her children. About two months ago I had the privilege of meeting Eritrean Christian men and women. This was my first encounter with Christians who are being discriminated against for their faith. I heard several stories of severe persecution. But my first one-on-one conversation had a momentous impact on me personally. She is a mother of three, like me; and comes from a big family, like me. We had significant things in common and I felt a tender connection with the women in front of me. Yet our realities did not correspond.

The more she spoke, the harder it got to steer my emotions. Her story saddened me to the very core of my being. She told me of the long, complicated process to get permission to travel.
I learned how they need to whisper during their underground fellowships and how after ten years’ closure, she misses singing in praise to God most of all. I also learned about her children’s naive questions to her about why the Christian music on their radio is barely audible.

At this point I was no longer able to swallow down the lump in my throat.

But the portion of our interaction that completely broke down my poise was when she felt like she had to confess to the fact that she desires a better future for her children. There are only a few institutions of higher education in Eritrea and the only university, Asmara University, admits a limited number of students. She truly felt guilty! Despite all that this mother had to go through to protect and care for her family, she thought it wrong to have higher aspirations for her children! Her silent search for an opportunity to offer her children something better made her feel ashamed.

All this time I could only listen in disbelief. Words fell short. I was overwhelmingly aware of my inept digesting of her record.

But the Lord in His sovereign wisdom opened up a small gap for me to respond. Attempting to put her heart at ease regarding her dreams for her children, I offered this woman some mother-to-mother affirmation. Who better understands the furtive desires of a mothers’ heart than her Creator Himself? Is it not very natural for a mother to want only the best for her children? My mother-heart surely wants nothing less for mine. Depending on the Holy Spirit’s guidance, I made a great effort to relate with her, shedding some light into her burdened conscience, encouraging her to distance herself from unnecessary baggage that comes with unwarranted guilt...

Her story of faith, trust and hope ministered to me. Despite the Eritrean Christians’ struggle, there is no turning back for them because of their personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I realised, looking at my life of ease compared to hers, not to become too comfortable. I reminded myself to consciously make enough room in my world for God to mould and make me into a vessel of honour to His glory, even at the cost of those comforts.

And as I was sharing this with my children, willing them to grasp something of the circumstances our brothers and sisters face, I prayed to God to bring restoration to their beloved Eritrea.

Corneli

1 comment:

  1. GOD has not forgotten Eritrea!
    As I interact with my Eritrean refugee friends, I see their faith, but also their pain.
    I pray for the day when "hallelujah" and "hosanna" can be once again shouted from the roof tops.
    LORD JESUS, come soon and deliver our people!

    ReplyDelete