Friday, June 22, 2012

God’s grace is present in my life


Time after time we are amazed at God’s sustaining grace for His children in the midst of suffering. Here is another testimony of a woman tells with thanksgiving of God’s grace that enabled her to remain firm in the faith in the face of intimidation.

In 2009, members of our prayer group were gathered at our church when the police surrounded the place and arrested us.

After 3 days, the chief of the Police Station called me to his office and ordered me to deny the Name of Jesus Christ and to stop going to Christian meetings in future.  I told him I could not deny Jesus, the One who gave me eternal life.

Then, he took me out into the compound of the Police Station and made me walk barefooted on a rocky surface. Soon my feet were bleeding and the pain became unbearable. After an hour, the chief again called me and asked me if I was ready to denounce my faith. I replied, “If you had told me to stop stealing, I would have said yes! If you had ordered me to stop living an immoral life, I would have agreed.  But, for me to stop believing in Jesus is something that I have pledged not to do, whatever the cost may be.” 

Then the commander told me that they had brought in my pastor and that he had denied Jesus and was going home.

“If your leader did it, why don’t you also do it?” the commander asked.

“I don't think my pastor would deny Jesus. But, even he did, I would not deny Him. I do not follow my pastor. I follow Jesus Christ, my Saviour,” I replied 

Puzzled, the commander responded, “I really don’t understand you Christians! The more we go after them and make things hard for them, the stronger they become and the more they increase in numbers.” 

He told me to pack my things and sent me home. Through God’s intervention I was released.

I went home rejoicing over the presence of God’s grace in my life. My pastor, whom the officer referred to, visited me. He had not even been arrested; it was only a ploy to have me deny my Saviour!

- Name withheld for security purposes

No comments:

Post a Comment