Thursday, June 14, 2012

Sharing the Gospel in a North Korean Gulag (Part 2)

Yesterday we read about Hea Woo, a North Korean Christian who fled her country’s brutal regime and came to faith in neighboring China. Today we continue her story on the Loveritrea blog in the hope that we will be encouraged by what God has done in her life.

After a few years in China, one by one Hea Woo’s three remaining children came to China as well. Hea Woo was arrested before she could flee to South Korea. Two North Koreans who stayed in the same safe house went to a bar, got drunk and were detained by Chinese police officers. They gave the address of their hiding place and when the police came, Hea Woo was the only other refugee present. All three of them were handed over to the North Korean authorities.

“I was lucky,” says Hea Woo. “After ten months in prison, I was only sentenced to a few years in labor camp, despite my Christian faith. But I almost died in prison. The guards were relentless. They hit me with sticks and kicked me. I was so discouraged and I started to doubt God. When I came back to my prison cell, I felt completely alone, even though there were twelve other prisoners in my cell. Then I heard a loud voice. I looked up, but nobody moved or blinked. I was the only one who heard the voice! It said: ‘My beloved daughter, you are walking on water!’ I knew it came from God. I knew He hadn’t forgotten me. During the years that I spent in prison and labor camp, I heard the voice a few times. Each time it was God encouraging me.”

Still, after five months in prison Hea Woo became terribly ill. “I had various diseases. My back and throat hurt, I couldn’t keep any food down, I was bleeding and could only stand when I leaned against the wall. The guards brought me to a hospital. The doctor told them I had only three days left to live. I prayed to God. I begged Him to not let me die before I had a chance to tell the world about North Korea and the faith of my husband. There were seven cruel guards and I asked God to use them to help me, even though they were part of Satan’s army. A miracle happened. Because the guards knew I was about to die, they gave me some extra food. Slowly I recovered. After five months I was completely healed. It was amazing. I did not receive any medicine, I slept on the floor with no heating system. Because of the cold I could hardly sleep, my hands and feet were often frozen, rats and bugs were everywhere. It was surely God who kept me alive.”

The day came that a big truck drove Hea Woo and other prisoners to the mountains. When she arrived at the labor camp, she noticed the enormous fence. On it were written a few words:

“DO NOT TRY TO ESCAPE
YOU WILL BE KILLED”

She would stay several years in this camp and experience the brutalities but also God’s love.

Read more about Hea Woo tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment